Wednesday 3 February 2010

MFA TALK/HAIRCUTS

Belated post.
In November, I spent two days in the Master of Fine Art department at Duncan of Jordanstone, talking with students about my practice since leaving Art School. The MFA studio soon became a makeshift hair salon, with informal tutorials taking place as students had their locks trimmed! In particular, I spoke about my involvement with The Nine Trades Project and the realities of conducting a collaborative project in a hair salon. Students were very interested in the many issues a practicing artist deals with i.e. money, rejected proposals, balancing work and home life to name a few. It was not all bad news of course, as I was able to talk about how my practice has developed through The Nine Trades and what a great opportunity it has been to meet new people both within the local art environment and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment