Saturday 18 July 2009

Small Talk 101

An old post from an Australian doctor..
17thSeptember2004

Hairdressing Small Talk 101



Categories : Culture |

It seems to be an almost universal thing amongst hairdressers - the gift of the gab. I wonder if they have a module in Hairdressing college entitled “Small Talk 101″ or something similar. It must get pretty tiring to have to maintain an endless stream of conversation with a succesion of clients all day long. In my job I have to talk to people all day, but it’s generally pretty focussed discussion on their health problems so it usually takes care of itself.

In case you were wondering what prompted this, I had my long overdue haircut today, the last weekday of my mini holiday. The conversation ranged from the weather, my hairdresser’s cousin’s legal education and mental health problems, her best friend’s health problems, her menstrual cycle and what contraceptive pill she’s on, tax and tax deductions, and the usual “so what are you doing this weekend?” I was pretty tired out by the end of it, and all I had to do was mostly just sit there and listen - she has to keep on like this all day long (hopefully minus the gynaecological elements for the rest of her clients.) So I tip my hat off to her and other hairdressers - there’s much more to that job than just cutting, combing, and blowdrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment